Thursday, October 02, 2008



I still am not sure what direction I am going to try and take this blog in, but I am committed to posting something on it every day in October to help me decide. I missed a day so I'll post twice today. Anyone who knows me knows what the first post will be about -- The State Fair! We've been twice so far and had more fun than we should be legally allowed to have.

I am not excited at all about the Fair's move to Caroline County. No sir, I am not. The Fair just isn't the Fair anywhere but on Laburnum, and I say that because I am not old enough to remember it anywhere else. I know from this book (which someone should buy me) that the State Fair moved to Laburnum in 1946, and before that it was on the Boulevard where the Diamond is, and prior to that on Broad at the old train station site. Originally it was in Monroe Park, imagine that!

So now, after 154 great years, the State Fair is dumping us, Richmond. And I'm going to be heartbroken, I will not lie -- but I can't let the emo tears fall just yet, because I am having too much fun picking ducks and eating elephant ears and riding the Tilt-a-Whirl.

No comments: